LOGINㅣ SITEMAPㅣCONTACT US
참평안♥천하보다 소중한 당신에게 보내는 하나님의 편지

HOME > Top Stories  

A cloud as small as a man’s hand is coming up from the sea Great works arising from a small sign
 글쓴이 : 관리자

1 Kings 18:41-46

Today’s scripture reading speaks of Elijah the Prophet. He lived 850 years prior to Jesus. Malachi, who existed 450 years after Elijah and 400 years before Jesus, prophesied, “Before the Messiah appears, Elijah will return.”
Amos the prophet stated, “Surely the Lord GOD does nothing unless He reveals His secret counsel to His servants the prophets” (Amos 3:7). Jesus said, “When it is evening, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red.’ And in the morning, ‘There will be a storm today, for the sky is red and threatening.’ Do you know how to discern the appearance of the sky, but cannot discern the signs of the times?” (Matthew 16:2-3) Genesis records, “The LORD said, ‘Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do’” (Genesis 18:17). God displays the signs to His people before He performs the works.
King Ahab was king of Israel during Elijah’s time. He married Jezebel from Sidon. Jezebel was the daughter of Ethbaal, king of the Sidonians, who served Baal. “Surely there was no one like Ahab who sold himself to do evil in the sight of the LORD, because Jezebel his wife incited him. He acted very abominably in following idols, according to all that the Amorites had done, whom the LORD cast out before the sons of Israel” (1 Kings 21:25-26).
After Ahab married Jezebel the nation plummeted. Famine arrived and storms came with a multitude of locusts ruining one year’s worth of farming. During this period, there was no justice and truth. Righteous words were not welcomed, rather lies were rampant. God desired for Ahab’s repentance but he became more stubborn. God tested him six times and after each time, he became wicked. God said, “I thought you would return, but you did not.”

Drought of 3 years and 6 months
Not able to endure it any longer, God said to Elijah, “This nation will not see rain for 3 years and 6 months.” Truly one year passed, and then the second year passed without any rain. All the wells and streams were completely dry. The earth had cracks like the back of a turtle. There was not even a single drop of water to drink. It came to the point where the people could not breathe.
Ahab worshipped his gods Baal and Asherah for rain. He believed rain would return. But the rain did not return. All of the 850 worshippers of Baal and Asherah quit. Ahab had Obadiah, the governor of the house, go through the land to find water. “Go through the land to all the springs of water and to all the valleys; perhaps we will find grass and keep the horses and mules alive, and not have to kill some of the cattle” (1 Kings 18:5).
Obadiah feared the Lord greatly. Ahab deceived the people that Elijah was the reason for famine of the rain and ordered to destroy the prophets of the Lord. Then Obadiah took a hundred prophets and hid them in a cave. This is impossible with a small faith. It is not even easy to hide one or two men to feed, shelter, and house them. Obadiah hid 100 men and supplied them with bread and water. As Obadiah searched for water, he found Elijah. Elijah told Obadiah, “Let Ahab know, behold, Elijah is here.” Ahab went to meet Elijah. Elijah told Ahab, the nation was in this condition because “you and your father’s house have forsaken the commandments of the Lord and you have followed the Baals.” He asked for 450 prophets of Baal and 400 prophets of Asherah to gather at Mount Carmel.

The 1 to 850 Spiritual Confrontation
The 850 prophets of Baal and Asherah did not labor but King Ahab and Jezebel provided for them. Even their family members were supported amounting to a huge provision. They were false prophets and were too busy sweetening the king. The King believed their words and became proud, and his wife persecuted the true believers and killed the true prophets.
Elijah said to Ahab. “Dig a ditch on Mount Carmel and place the sacrifice, pour some water and then you will call on the name of your god and I will call on the name of the Lord and the God who answers by fire, He is God.” King Ahab accepted. The entire Israel was stirred up. This was the opportunity to identify the real God. First the prophets of Baal and Asherah began to pray. From morning to noon, they were raving and dancing. However there was no voice and no response. They extended their time until sunset and began to cut themselves with swords and lances until their blood gushed out of them, but still there was no response. The people of the nation saw the whole thing.
Then Elijah bowed down to the ground and prayed. “God, today let it be known that You are God in Israel and that I am Your servant and I have done all these things at Your word. Answer me, O LORD, answer me, that this people may know that You, O LORD, are God, and that You have turned their heart back again” (1 Kings 18:36-37).
Then fire fell from heaven and consumed the burnt offering, the wood, the stones and the dust. Elijah ordered the people to seize the 850 false prophets. They were brought down to the Brook Kishon and killed.

“A cloud as small as a man’s hand is coming up.”
Afterwards, Elijah spoke to Ahab. “Go up, eat and drink; for there is the sound of the roar of a heavy shower.” Elijah went up to the top of Carmel; and he crouched down on the earth and placed his face between his knees. He said to his servant, “I am going to pray so go up now, look toward the sea.” When he went up, the servant said, “there is nothing.” He went back six times and there was no sign. Then Elijah earnestly prayed and on the seventh time, the servant said, “behold, a cloud as small as a man’s hand is coming up from the sea.”
At that moment, Elijah heard the rain. By faith, he heard the rain falling. He told his servant to inform Ahab and to go down quickly because of the heavy shower. Suddenly, the sky grew black with clouds and winds, and there was a heavy shower. Elijah ran down the mountain barefoot for 42 Km and outran Ahab.

Pray until you receive assurance
Elijah continuously prayed until a small sign appeared. However, we do not pray this way. After praying just once, our bodies become stagnant and we think to ourselves, “why pray again when I already prayed?” However, Elijah prayed until he had assurance in his heart. “But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind” (James 1:6). This is very important during prayers. Pray with faith and do not doubt, then your prayers will be answered. God has not answered you because over the years you kept telling yourself of Jesus that you learned in letters.
“Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted you” (Mark 11:24).
It is sin not to ask in faith. You need to repent. Prophet Samuel said it is sin to stop praying (1 Samuel 12:23). Paul said to pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17). Have you earnestly prayed for your children by calling each of their names? Even if your children do not believe, have you prayed for them to grow in faith and wisdom as they age, to be sons and daughters who believe in God? If you do not pray, then how do you expect your children to do well?
Have you prayed for your wife? Have you prayed before you got married? Have you prayed for your parents who worship idols? You must thoroughly denounce the idols as Elijah did. If you really love your grandfather, grandmother, father and mother, then do you not want to save them? If you truly pray and say the right things, then they will think, “He must really love me to say those words.” They will concede and follow you.
Examine your faith through today’s words. Establish your faith. Straighten it out. As teachers yell at students who do not stand in line straight, we who have received God’s words need to stand straight in a line. If He tells us to pray then we must pray.
Elijah sincerely prayed with tears for forgiveness of his people’s sins. He completely yielded into his prayers. He concentrated in his prayers. He was on his knees and he hit hands earnestly asking for forgiveness of his people. He was completely drenched in his sweat as if he took a shower. God heard his prayers. A small cloud size of a hand became a small sign forthcoming a great work. Following, the people destroyed the gods in their houses and sought after God.

Brethren,
If you love money, then it is your idol. Hence, God said in Ecclesiastes, “it is vanity for man to put his life aside and waste away to protect his wealth. He does not spend his wealth, or eat but only protects his wealth and in the end he dies, that is vanity.” You are serving idols when you put God aside and trust in your mate and children. Love your parents and your mate in the Lord. God does not want you to put Him aside. What is beauty in this world becomes vain (Proverbs 31:30). It is only a short period in God’s eyes. Only when you believe in God well, you will be beautiful and God will praise you.

“I want to be first in believing in Jesus.”
47 years ago, a believer who was in his thirties brought 150,000 won. This was enough to buy a one-room home. I was truly surprised. “Why did you bring this huge amount of money?” He responded, “Pastor, I never was first in my class in school. I was average in sports. I have never been first in anything. However, I do not want to lose to anyone in believing in Jesus and want to be first in believing in Him.”
When I heard this, today’s scriptures, 1 Kings 18 came into my mind. A small sign resulted in God’s great works. His prayers and offerings have become the foundation of today’s Pyungkang Church. Now, the History of Redemption Series is spreading across the world. I believe the entire world will return to Korea.
Put aside your thoughts and put on God’s thoughts. Worldly thoughts results in death (Romans 8:5-9). They are enemies of God. God’s thoughts lead to wisdom, grace, and bring on prosperous blessings. Hebrews 11:1-3 states, “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the men of old gained approval. By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible.”

Our invisible God’s providence will light up like a lightening bug. It will not waste away or fall. When you believe and rely upon God, then your life will prosper as you believe. Hold onto the sign as Elijah held onto the small sign that he felt in his heart. God’s great works will be established individually, in our families, and in our businesses. When you see your children, do not doubt they will be prosperous, believe it. Be confident that your children will do well because of your faith and trust in God. Great works will happen.
Do not be discouraged. While failures were never-ending, we can examine ourselves through today’s words. There is hope. Do not say, “My business has been failing until now, so will prayers make any difference?” Look at Elijah. He had six failures, then on the seventh time after he prayed, he asked his servant and he replied, “Well, master there is a cloud as small as a man’s hand is coming up from the sea.” After hearing this, Elijah told him “Notify Ahab that there will be rain.”
Without faith it is impossible to speak those words. Until now, we have not received full blessings of prosperity and this is due to sin from disbelief. Pray to God for forgiveness of your disbelief and ask Him to help you believe in God’s words 100%. Families, workplaces, and businesses will be blessed with great works when a small sign is given to parents, children, and families that pray. He is the God of the believers. I bless you in the name of the Lord that you will be faithful believers looking only towards the Lord of faith.

Sunday Service, November 6, 2011

PROCLAIM 2017: A Global Conference for Preachers o…

All Reforms are Only through the Word of God

Special Feature: 500th Anniversary of the Protesta…

Absolute Thanksgiving with an Empty Heart

Special Feature: 500th Anniversary of the Protesta…

With Strength in the Work of the Lord

The Impossible Dream Comes True : All Nations Come…

2017 SUMMER CONFERENCE : Yeoju is the “source of…

“Fed Full By the Holy Spirit” : The First 2017…

Re:2017 NY Conference The Youths’ 4 Day Journey …

Beware and Be on Your Guard Against Every Form of …

“I shall be the woman of Sychar for the One Ston…