LOGINㅣ SITEMAPㅣCONTACT US
참평안♥천하보다 소중한 당신에게 보내는 하나님의 편지

HOME > Top Stories  

The Hero of the History of Korea is God, He Has Aided Us
 글쓴이 : 관리자

If asked to the postwar generation, the name “Sun-yup Paik” would merely mean “a soldier from long ago.” His name was probably brought back into the spotlight last year, the 60th year of the Korean War, when Paik’s memoirs were published for 14 months in the JoongAng Daily. I also read those memoirs in the JoongAng Daily whenever it appeared on the papers. After the serialized publication finished, I read volumes one and two of the memoirs in book form. The dangers of beautification, rationalization, and embellishment of self always lie in memoirs. However, even if that is the case it cannot avoid the eyes of the readers. As the reader reads he experiences honesty and digs up truth.
Reporter Kwang-jong Yu, who met with General Paik 120 times in order to organize the dictations of the memoir, stated regarding the General that “he is a great commander.” He continued to state, “Every time I uncover history there are a few people I would like to go back in time to meet. As far as the oldest in time, Admiral Sun-sin Yi is someone I want to meet the most.…These days, this thirst I experience through history is being alleviated little by little. The questions of “What sort of great commander was Admiral Yi?” and “What are the features of the great commander to whom the Korean peninsula has given birth?” are being solved little by little through my meetings with General Paik.”
On May 24, 2011, at the War Memorial in Yongsan, Seoul I met with General Sun-yup Paik (92), born in 1920 and commander of the Republic of Korea’s first reserve.

General Paik, you were in your early 30s at the time of the Korean War. In reading your memoirs I wondered where such wisdom, courage, and grit came from.

My deepest apologies, I am not a great person. I am just one of many ordinary people, but I took on that role because I happened to encounter the situations of that period. There is nothing special about me. I just had to be of use for my country. There were many soldiers, so initiative had to be taken: That is why I served.

Before the Korean War, as the former head of the Intelligence Bureau of the Army Headquarters, you rescued former President Chung-hee Park when you tracked down the Workers Party of South Korea and thus restored military discipline. When asked later why you did it, I heard that your response was, “No reason in particular. My name has the Chinese character ‘sun’ which means ‘benevolent.’” Even though you are a soldier that fought in the war you are known as “a person filled with benevolence.” With what
sort of attitude have you lived your life until now?
I grew up in an impoverished family. Anyone lived in poverty during the Japanese occupation. I was born during that period and went to school, and I might have been influenced through that. But fundamentally I was always thinking what I could do to help the destitute and poor.

Where did such thinking come from? Did your parents teach you?
It is not so much that my parents taught me. I just naturally became that way.

However, general, you have fought in the war. Doesn’t war have two extremely different sides?
It is cruel. And you have to kill.

You tried to live with a benevolent heart but you were put in a situation of going to war which contrasted with this.
There was nothing to be done with the battles and what not. However, I always had in mind that I must not let the innocent suffer.

You had to command while watching over many subordinate soldiers sacrificing their lives to protect their country. I am sure there were moments of countless choices and decisions, how did you feel?
A commander must have certain virtues. First, a leader needs to take initiative and he must be with his sub-ordinates in life or death. Not only that, he must lead the unit to victory. In order to do so he must discipline himself, guide his subordinates, listen to the opinions of his subordinates, and he must carry out his duties while doing so. From that standpoint he must fully carry out his responsibilities and put in hard work. On that point, I endeavored greatly.

In looking at the memoirs, you stated, “A soldier is a deadly weapon. When taking it up you must grasp it correctly and in putting it down you must do so correctly.” In reflecting on that statement, general, I am curious to see if you think that the ROK Army is guarding its place well and what you think is the people’s general sentiment on national security.
I think that our national army is outstanding. More than half of the soldiers during the Korean War did not know their alphabet and thus were unable to write letters home. Now our nation-al army is a large army with a number of 600,000 and every one of them is beyond a high school graduate. It is an army of high education and that is rare to see in the world. It is an army worthy of boasting. The KATUSA is assigned to the U.S. Army and its soldiers are showing results that are comparable to the soldiers in the U.S. Army. Our national army is an army worth boasting of in the world. The Peacekeeping Operations (PKO) is dispatched to several countries throughout the world. Our soldiers are promoting our national prestige. I think that our army is an army to be ranked in the world.

I don’t know about the educational level but don’t you think the mental strength has been weakened?
No, I believe that is not the case. If anything it is stronger than before. The officers have received a great amount of training as well. People who have received higher education through The Army, Naval, and Air Force military academies, ROTC, and the Army Academy are leading the army today.

I also served as an enlisted soldier on the frontlines 20 years ago, but even in looking at myself at the time I felt I was weak and lacked nationalism in comparison to the patriotic forefa-thers of the Korean War who sacrificed their lives in protect-ing the country.
Older people may think, “Aren’t the youth lacking a bit?” but I must disagree. The youth these days are extraordinary. They’ve received great outstanding education and they are nationalists to the core.

Recently, Secretary of Defense Kwan-jin Kim gave an evalua-tion stating, “Our military officers have outstanding will power but they are slightly weak in carrying out tactics.” What are your thoughts on this?
I believe that he was speaking in such a humble manner being the Secretary of Defense. I do not think the same about our of-ficers. They are outstanding.

What do you think about the public’s awareness of national defense?
The state of cease-fire has continued for nearly 60 years. Fortu-nately, it has been relatively peaceful during that time but after the sinking of Cheonan vessel and the artillery fired at Yeon-pyeong Island I believe that the public’s awareness of national
defense has been awakened in realizing the possibility of North Korea’s provocation.

During the Korean War you were able to examine the true nature of the American Army as well as the Communist Chi-nese Army from close proximity. Sixty years have passed but America and China continue to have a great effect on us as the G2 (group of two). What is your opinion on how we must view America and China and what sort of relationship should be established?
America sent 10 divisions during the Korean War. The entire UN military was comprised of 12 divisions but America sent 10 divisions. In totaling the force of 500,000 soldiers that were exchanged back and forth there were approximately 1,500,000 soldiers who aided Korea. Our nation’s army was insignificant at the outbreak of war, but we grew stronger as the American military aided and guided us. The American military advisory group taught various skills and tactics while the combat unit taught military determination. America provided 80% of our ar-maments. At the time we were unable to make even a single rifle, but now we produce battleships and trainer planes. We have waved the UN flag and guarded our country. Sixteen countries including America gave aid to our nation. Not an inch of this land was gained for free. Even after the armistice, the establishment of the mutual defense treaty with America in 1954 became the foundation for us to grow into being one of the top 10 trade nations. Today, as a maritime nation, we must maintain a strong alliance with America and Japan. We must also maintain good diplomatic relations with China and Russia through peaceful means.

After the events of Cheonan vessel and Yeonpyeong Island, in seeing the attitude of China, there are many who give different evaluations regarding the true nature of China.
However, there is no reason for us to become hostile with China because of that… As a neighboring country, we must attempt to maintain peaceful relations to a degree.

There are still conflicts in South Korea. There exist those who are supportive of the North Korean communist regime. How do you think we should go about resolving these issues?
The people of Korea are a nation that becomes completely uni-fied in a state of emergency. President Syngman Rhee stated in his speech at Pyongyang at the end of October in 1950, “If we become one we will live, but if we are divided we will all die.” What the communists want is division and strife within South Korea. They want to divide and separate the nation. We must not be manipulated. While securing our country’s legitimacy to a degree the people must sacrifice for and contribute to the nation. The government must proceed with an attitude focused on national prosperity, interests of the nation, and welfare of the people. Even during the Korean War, in Moscow, Kim Il-sung said to Park Heon-youn, “We thought that the people would rise up in aiding us if we just invaded the South but that didn’t hap-pen.” The people of the Republic of Korea are such a people. They are a great nation. I believe in my nation. The national pride of our people is solid.

This year marks the 61st year of the Korean War. What meaning and value do you think the Korean War has on the history of the nation?
The Korean War was the biggest war in the history of our nation. And it was an international war. Now our country must become even more fortified. The nation must become one, and we must strive further for national development. Aren’t we doing well at the moment? Our country has become one of the top ten trade nations in the world. This was something unfathomable in the past. We were a country that could barely manage to survive. It’s incredible to see this nation, which couldn’t even manage to eat a bowl of ramen for a meal, has grown to become such a great country.

In your memoirs it reads that your mother always prayed for you. Are you also a believer?
I am a Christian. I am not a completely faithful believer but I believe in God.

The battle of Dabu-dong was a critical battle which blocked the North Korean forces that had pushed down to Nakdong River. During that battle you wrote, “I prayed sincerely that I would believe faithfully and fervently if we would be granted to escape this moment of danger.”
Yes, that is true. At the moment I was so desperate that I pleaded that God would help me this one time.

I guess you were not a believer until that moment then?
No, I attended church at that time as well. Afterwards, I even did a great deal of missions work during the early days of our military.

Do you have conviction that God exists?
Yes, I believe He exists.

During the Korean War, God…
(Before the question was even finished) God aided us during the Korean War.

During what moments did you experience that?
At Nakdong river and also when I went up to North Korea.

Could you be more specific in speaking about going up to North Korea?
Our troops had advanced all the way to Aprok River in North Korea. It is because God helped during that moment that thousands of refugees were able to escape down to the south.

And at Heungnam?
Yes, that would not have been possible had it not been for the help of God.

Did you feel this way at the time as well? Did you think “This was God’s help”?
Of course, I believe in God. Right now I’m not able to pray a lot and because I’m old I can’t do a lot of work at church but I believe God.

God works in this nation and established this nation…
(Again, before the question was even finished) God is the hero. Had it not been with the help of God this country would not be able to become as great as it is now. Our nation is a liberal democracy. We are able to live comfortably. If this is not the grace
and blessing of God then what is it?

During the outbreak of the war, strangely enough the North Korean Army stayed for four days in Seoul thus allowing time for the defeated troops to organize its line of battle. It was also unprecedented that the UN resolved to participate in the war and when we advanced north past the 38th parallel the UN made a quick decision. In looking at these critical moments I thought, “There are things that cannot be explained logically. Is this not the help of God?”
That is a correct thinking. Had God not helped us our country would not be the country it is now. That is what I think.

Could it be that God especially loves the Republic of Korea?
God loves us, but we must also work hard to receive that love.

What must we do to receive that love?
As good citizens, we must sacrifice self and contribute to this nation.

On that note, what virtue do you think is most necessary to the Korean society right now?
As people of this nation, we must fully carry out our duties. I’m saying that as people of this nation, there must be a sense of responsibility and contribution. We must be thankful to our country and fulfill our respective duties.

The young generation, especially our second generation brothers and sisters living abroad, will be reading this book. Is there anything you would like to say to them?
Be glad and proud to be a part of the Republic of Korea. I hope that you would stand at the frontline and succeed in your endeavors so that you would heighten this nation’s prestige.

The elderly general, even at the age of 92, sat upright in an orderly fashion during the entire interview which lasted over an hour. However, he was far from being talkative and there was neither ostentatious display nor rhetoric.  A picture of President Syngman Rhee and U.S. President Eisenhower investigating the capital division of the Korean military of 1952 hangs on the wall of the general’s office.

These days, there has been a movement stirring for the reevaluation of President Syngman Rhee. There are those who are against President Rhee. You personally worked with President Rhee. What is your evaluation of him?
He was a great president. He founded this country and established the foundation for the Republic of Korea through anticommunism. He also contributed greatly to our attaining this partial victory in the Korean War.

You fought against the communist army and suppressed the North Korean partisans. What do you believe is the essence of communism?
As a result of my experiences, I believe that you cannot compromise with the communists. They are always spreading propaganda and deceiving people. The North Korean government of today is probably the same as well. It would be great if we could be unified through peaceful means but North Korea is currently developing nuclear weapons, they have 1,200,000 pieces of conventional weapons, and they are threatening us with missiles.

So are you saying they haven’t thrown away the idea of unifying the Korean peninsula through military force?
Yes, their communist regulations have not changed. I do not wish to speak any further regarding North Korea.

Thank you for your time. The JoongAng Daily reporter who helped in writing the memoir said that, “I had admired Admiral Sun-sin Yi and I saw the appearance of Admiral Yi in General Sun-yup Paik.”
I am not such a great person. Please just think of me as another foolish fellow.

I have interviewed countless people from the president to the petty criminals in the criminal unit of the police department during my 17 years as a reporter. Among them, my meeting with General Sun-yup Paik was one of the most exciting and heartwarming interviews I have had.

Written by reporter Jun-suk Ho   Organized by reporter Il-an Kwon

The 1st Division commander of the ROK Army, Gen. Paik Sun-yup, discussing a strategy with the liaison officer of the US Airforce, Cpt. William Matthews (later became the deputy chief of staff in the US Airforce) when they were advancing up into Pyongyang

PROCLAIM 2017: A Global Conference for Preachers o…

All Reforms are Only through the Word of God

Special Feature: 500th Anniversary of the Protesta…

Absolute Thanksgiving with an Empty Heart

Special Feature: 500th Anniversary of the Protesta…

With Strength in the Work of the Lord

The Impossible Dream Comes True : All Nations Come…

2017 SUMMER CONFERENCE : Yeoju is the “source of…

“Fed Full By the Holy Spirit” : The First 2017…

Re:2017 NY Conference The Youths’ 4 Day Journey …

Beware and Be on Your Guard Against Every Form of …

“I shall be the woman of Sychar for the One Ston…