LOGINㅣ SITEMAPㅣCONTACT US
참평안♥천하보다 소중한 당신에게 보내는 하나님의 편지

HOME > Top Stories  

Opening a new chapter of missions work in America (JUNE 2011)
 글쓴이 : 관리자

The Redemptive History Seminar in Orlando, Florida

“I felt like our missions work has officially begun now,” said Dr. Joseph Cho, who returned to Korea after preaching at the Redemptive History Seminar that took place in Orlando, Florida from May 25 to 28, 2011. Missionary Mary Park also said, “I sensed a change in the dynamics. You had to be there to experience it. Words cannot fully explain the dynamics of the inspiration.”
What happened? A Korean pastor that attended the seminar said, “I have never seen a seminar held by a Korean church that had so many Americans attend.” There was another pastor who said, “The fact that Americans attended a seminar sponsored by a Korean Church itself is a miracle.”
Unlike many typical Korean church functions in the US and other countries, this seminar had all races and ages come together to study the Word and worship the Lord. The grace of God poured down upon all who came as they sincerely listened to the Word of redemption that was proclaimed throughout the seminar.
Over the 4 days of the seminar, 1,670 people came in total, averaging about 400 people per day. There were over 500 Americans among them. This was an unexpected turnout even for the people who prepared the seminar because the language barrier and difference in culture make it difficult for Americans to come to a Korean church to study the Bible. However, this seminar proved that those walls and barriers cannot stop God’s Word and grace.
The seminar started off with praise time led by Gabriel Praise Team, which was followed by seminar lectures. Dr. Philip Lee gave lectures about the first book in the History of Redemption Series, The Genesis Genealogies, on May 25th and 26th. On the 27th, Dr. Joseph Cho gave a lecture regarding the second book, The Covenant of the Torch. Then on the 28th, Missionary Mary Park taught about the third book, The Unquenchable Lamp of the Covenant. There was consecutive interpretation for every lecture for people who could not understand the Korean language. The lectures clearly explained and resolved some of the problems that were unsolved or avoided even by renowned scholars and theologians. The congregation and visitors’ attention was undivided. They were astounded when they realized that Adam and Lamech lived contemporaneously for 56 years and that Noah and Abraham lived contemporaneously for 58 years. Some of the participants confessed that they grew up learning the Bible, but the facts and truths about the Bible taught at this seminar were things they have never heard or considered. They said that they can now see the general flow of the Bible. Others also made the following comments: “Time just flew by as the pastor explained the 42 sites where the Israelites camped in the wilderness. I could not take my eyes and ears off the speaker” and “I was amazed that Enoch had fixed his eyes on the end and lived to prepare for the end after naming his son Methuselah.” Some of the participants were in tears to hear that the History of Redemption series has already been translated into Chinese and reached China.
Mr. Jason Chin stated, “This was a lecture that opened my eyes to the Bible. For example, the verse about Abraham leaving his father’s house was a verse that I used to simply pass by, but this lecture allowed me to understand its background and significance. I realized how hard it must have been to leave his father. Also, I thought Adam just lived and died after he was kicked out of the Garden of Eden, but never thought that he lived a long time afterwards in repentance and taught his descendants the Word of God. It came to me that the things written in the Bible are not just words on paper, but contain truly significant facts about the lives of those who appear in the genealogies.”

Mr. Brian Rasmussen said, “I never knew that there were omitted generations in Jesus’ genealogy in Matthew chapter 1, but I was really shocked to find that out through this seminar.”
There were also about 10 Korean pastors that came to attend the seminar. A Methodist church pastor said, “The awareness of the History of Redemption messages is spreading out rapidly in this area.” He continued to tell us that he will make plans for another seminar where many churches in Orlando can come together and hear the Word of redemptive history.” Another Korean pastor added, “How can one not come to such a seminar when you can see the Word actively at work, making changes in the field of ministry?” There was also a pastor who attended the seminar for two days and was not able to come the next day because he had to lead a night prayer meeting at his church. Nevertheless, he let everyone pray on their own and came to the seminar with some of his church members that day. Another pastor also explained, “The only thing that can revive the corrupted spirituality is the Word of God, and I realized, as I was reading the books, that this History of Redemption series can provide a clear teaching of that Word needed to restore the spirituality of the Church.” After the seminar was over, a minister came and asked if his church can invite the pastors to teach about Jesus’ genealogy at his church.
There were many people who served behind the stages to bring about such great success in this seminar. First, it is the congregation of Green Hill Church (Pastor: Rev. Paul Kim), who diligently shared the books with others in their “Movement of sharing the History of Redemption series.” They consistently sent and gave out the books to American and Korean churches throughout Florida. As a result, pastors started reading the books and began to praise them as books with profound truth. The seminar was the fruition of this effort of sharing the books.
Second, it is the Sunday school students who sang the “Genealogy of Jesus Christ Song” in English. Children of the age of 3 to 10 memorized and sang the song of Jesus’ genealogy, which is about 10 minutes long. The response was just explosive. Everyone could not stop marveling at how such young children could memorize and know such a long genealogy. The children received standing ovations every time they performed during the seminar. “It’s shocking. I want my kids to be educated in the Bible like these children,” commented a parent that came to the seminar. She also said, “It was just amazing. The children are so adorable!” Others said that the songs they sang were songs that help transmit faith to the next generation, and these songs teach the Word of God. Many people were humming the song even after the seminar and many asked if there were CDs or music sheet they can purchase. There were more people who brought their own children after they saw the children’s performance on the first day. A mother even asked if her daughter could sing with the Sunday school the next day although she did not completely memorize the entire song.

People who came to the seminar were also taken back by the beautiful sanctuary that was newly built on a 15-acre land and said, “This is by far the most beautiful church in all of Orlando!” Another impressive aspect about the seminar and this church was that worship services were led and presided by both Korean and American pastors and elders in harmony. Members of the congregation gave all their hearts in welcoming guests. The church provided dinner for all who came. Young members ushered each guest and introduced the church. Children also had a great time with the Sunday school program that concurrently took place with the seminar. Attendees were greatly impressed by the heartfelt hospitality. Elena Davis, one of the attendees, sent a letter after the seminar, saying, “The content of the seminar was so great. I learned so much. I even bought the books. I’m really excited to read them. Please put me on the list of invitation for the next seminar. The new sanctuary is beautiful and the food you prepared was delicious. I’d like to thank all who worked so hard to make this seminar happen.”
A Korean attendee said, “I thought I knew a lot about the Bible. I had studied the Bible quite a lot also. But through this seminar, I realized that what I know is not all. I couldn’t stop crying through the entire lecture.”
The aftermath of the 4-day seminar continued the next day during the Lord’s Day service. There were many people who came to Green Hill Church even for the Lord’s Day service. Some came to purchase the English version of the History of Redemption series.
Another redemptive history seminar is getting ready to be launched in New York in July. Other churches from all around the US are making requests for seminars. Plans of holding seminars every couple of months alternatively in the west coast and the east coast is taking shape. The pastors and missionaries who continued from Orlando to other states to teach in Washington D.C., New York, California, Arkansas, Connecticut, and Georgia said, “Things are changing now. The History of Redemption series has been spreading to Koreans and Americans at a surprising rate. We need to be alert and awake to keep up with the Word.”

Written by True Peace Special Reporting Team in Seoul and Reporter Hyunjin Hwang in Orlando, FL

PROCLAIM 2017: A Global Conference for Preachers o…

All Reforms are Only through the Word of God

Special Feature: 500th Anniversary of the Protesta…

Absolute Thanksgiving with an Empty Heart

Special Feature: 500th Anniversary of the Protesta…

With Strength in the Work of the Lord

The Impossible Dream Comes True : All Nations Come…

2017 SUMMER CONFERENCE : Yeoju is the “source of…

“Fed Full By the Holy Spirit” : The First 2017…

Re:2017 NY Conference The Youths’ 4 Day Journey …

Beware and Be on Your Guard Against Every Form of …

“I shall be the woman of Sychar for the One Ston…