참평안♥천하보다 소중한 당신에게 보내는 하나님의 편지

HOME > Top Stories  

The Genesis Genealogies Power Review
 글쓴이 : 관리자

The History of Redemption Series Book 1

The Genesis Genealogies: God’s Administration in the History of Redemption

Synopsis

▶ Why remember the “days of old”?

Immediately before the Israelites entered into Canaan, Moses reminded them, “Remember the days of old, consider the years of all generations!” in his farewell sermon. The “days of old” and “years of all generations” are not just old fairy tales or legends. It is a recording of the providence of God who poured out His fervent love by interceding into the history of mankind since the fall of Adam. It is a story of the fathers of faith who unwaveringly preserved the path of godliness according to God’s providence. As the Israelites had to remember the days of old in the wilderness when they were preparing to enter into Canaan, we Christians must also remember the days of old as we prepare to enter into the kingdom of heaven.

▶ Rediscovery of the genealogies

The genealogies in the book of Genesis that seemed so tedious with repetitions of names and births were actually the treasure troves of what we need to remember about the “days of old” and the “years of all generations.” They clearly portray God’s administration for the redemption of mankind and the entire universe. The genealogies in Genesis are only a few verses. Yet, they contain the redemptive providence over a long period of about 2,300 years. Thus, each verse and name in these genealogies is saturated with historical and redemptive significance. This book helps the readers rediscover the spiritual meaning hidden behind each of the 20 generations from Adam to Abraham in the Bible.

▶ The history of redemption is the history of separation

The book of Genesis records the genealogies of all generations, including those who have strayed away from the godly lineage, such as Cain, Ham, Ishmael, and Esau. They are examples that reflect our own sinfulness and unfaithfulness. This division between the godly ungodly lineages continues to run together with the history of redemption. The people of God had to learn to separate themselves from the path of sin and live a consecrated life. One great example of one who lived such a consecrated life is Abraham, who is probably the most prominent character in this book.

Featured Points

▶ Adam and Lamech lived 56 years contemporaneously, and Noah and Abraham lived 58 years contemporaneously.

There are many astounding facts to be discovered in the genealogies of the Bible. As we delve into the genealogies, what seemed ambiguous will become more concrete and even personal. The lives of the patriarchs that may have seemed almost fictional will become more real in our minds. The years of their lives are without any error. Adam, who lived 930 years, and his 9th generation descendant, Lamech, who lived 777 years, lived contemporaneously together for 56 years. Noah, who lived 950 years, lived contemporaneously with his 11th generation descendant Abraham for 58 years. These are facts that have been revealed for the first time in history through this book.

▶ The duration of constructing Noah’s ark was not 120 years.

Many theologians and ministers have taught that Noah built the ark for 120 years. However, the Bible testifies that the duration of the construction was less than 100 years. God commanded Noah to build the ark (Gen 6:14) after Noah already had his three sons (Gen 6:10). God commanded Noah, “You and your sons and your wife, and your sons’ wives with you” (Gen 6:18). Noah had Shem, Ham, and Japheth after he was 500 years old (Gen 5:32), and the flood began when Noah was 600 years old. It is so simple and clear in the Bible that less than 100 years was spent building the ark, but this book presents an extensive argument and proof about this issue for the first time in the history of Christianity. Why is this important? The Lord said that the coming of the Son of Man will be like the days of Noah and we Christians living in the end times are all constructing the spiritual ark today.

▶ The year when Methuselah died was the year when the flood began.

Methuselah was the man who lived the longest (969 years) in the Bible. The judgment of the flood came during the time of his grandson, Noah. According to calculation, the year of Methuselah’s death and the year of the flood were the same year. Then, did Methuselah die in the flood? No, he must have died before the flood since the name Methuselah means “when he dies, the judgment.” Methuselah’s longevity demonstrates the merciful love of God, who held back the judgment as much as possible and waited for repentance.

▶ Abraham left Ur of the Chaldeans after Terah had died.

Abrahamdeparted from Ur of the Chaldeans in obedience to God’s command. Later, he departed from Haran and migrated to Canaan. However, Acts 7:4 states, “Then he left the land of the Chaldeans and settled in Haran. From there, after his father died, God had him move to this country in which you are now living.” According to the calculation of the years, Abraham was 75 years old when he left Haran and Terah was 145 years old. However, the Bible states that Terah remained in Haran 60 years longer after Abraham had left and died at the age of 205. Is this contradiction an error? Surely, God would not allow an error in the Bible. There is a message of “separation” and “determination” in this story of Abraham’s obedience and departure from his father’s house.

Key Message

The genealogy of the godly seed continues on in the book of Genesis through the fathers of faith who were able to overcome and set themselves apart from sins and greed in this world. This genealogy in Genesis leads up to Abraham, an essential figure in God’s administration to bring salvation for the entire world. The work of redemption takes on a new phase through God’s calling of Abraham and is fulfilled through the Messiah who comes as the son of Abraham. This magnificent story of godly lineage is what Moses refers to as the “days of old.” They may be called “days of old,” but they are actually a reflection of my story today.

Commentaries

Dr. Young-Bae Cha(Former President of the Chongsin University)

I could not contain my surprise because the depth of his book exceeds all imaginations. There have been many books, both domestic and international, dealing with the genealogies in Genesis. In many ways, this book stands on par with the other books. It is fortunate for the churches in Korea that a book containing such precious information is receiving the spotlight during increasingly dark times. It is a great blessing from God.

Dr. Yong-Yup Cho(Professor of the Keyak Graduate School of Theology)

I got a glimpse of the author’s character, faith, scholastic attitude as I read his introduction, in which he writes that although this book “may be inadequate as fruit presented before God” and “is certainly not a theological or scholarly piece of work,” he asks readers to “read this book with a Christ-like heart of understanding, forgive any awkward sentences, and give generous tolerance on any unintentional mistakes.” He continues, “When Peter asked, ‘Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him?’ Jesus answered, ‘I do not say to you, up to 7 times, but up to 7 times 7’ (Matt 18:21). I ask that you overlook my shortcomings with the love and mercy of Christ. If anything has been accomplished through this inadequate servant, I confess that it was not the work of this sinner but completely the work of the Lord.” I was able to see that he has critically and accurately studied the Genesis genealogies from the perspective of the history of redemption. Moreover, he has compiled the book in conjunction with the scripture verses. I believe that that this is just one of the examples that show how Rev. Park has a proficient and thorough understanding of the Bible.

Frank A. James III(President and Professor of Historical Theology at Reformed Theological Seminary, Orlando)

First, it is a book suffused with scripture. It is absolutely clear that Dr. Park loves the Bible and it is obvious that he drinks deeply from the fountain of Biblical study. I was delighted to see that he takes the historicity of the Genesis account seriously. In a day when some many modern theologians cast doubt on the historicity of Adam, for example, it is refreshing to see a firm affirmation of historicity. I heartily recommend this insightful work of Dr. Park for seminaries and colleges.

Dong-a Times (Jan. 31, 2008)

The Genesis Genealogies, written by Rev. Abraham Park (former moderator of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church of Korea), who has been studying the Old Testament during his 50-year ministry, analyzes the genealogy of 20 generations from Adam to Abraham, the ancestors of the Jews, and reveals a very exciting world of Genesis. The publication of this book has become the center of interest in Christian society. Dr. Kyung-Bae Min (Hon. Professor of Yonsei University) praised, “This book will remain as timeless work that deserves attention in the Korean church history.”

Mun-Hwa Times (Feb. 18, 2008)

Surpassing the simple chronological records of births and deaths, this book reveals God’s sovereign work of salvation by bringing up the questions from the Bible and finding answers in the Bible. It unravels the significance of the genealogy of Adam to Abraham, the father of Israel and Middle East, through biblical interpretation and study of history.

Yeonhap News (Jan. 29, 2008)

Through the meanings of the ancient Hebrew names in the Bible, the book scientifically reconstructs the years in which the forefathers of faith lived. Consequently, it shows that the longevity of the patriarchs who lived over 900 years were not mere numbers; the history of mankind and the Middle East are compacted into those years. This is a book that can be greatly helpful in understanding a Christian view of history and the world even for non-Christian readers.

PROCLAIM 2017: A Global Conference for Preachers o…

All Reforms are Only through the Word of God

Special Feature: 500th Anniversary of the Protesta…

Absolute Thanksgiving with an Empty Heart

Special Feature: 500th Anniversary of the Protesta…

With Strength in the Work of the Lord

The Impossible Dream Comes True : All Nations Come…

2017 SUMMER CONFERENCE : Yeoju is the “source of…

“Fed Full By the Holy Spirit” : The First 2017…

Re:2017 NY Conference The Youths’ 4 Day Journey …

Beware and Be on Your Guard Against Every Form of …

“I shall be the woman of Sychar for the One Ston…