LOGINㅣ SITEMAPㅣCONTACT US
참평안♥천하보다 소중한 당신에게 보내는 하나님의 편지

HOME > Top Stories  

The Unique Power of the Redemptive Series to Unite Korean Christianity (MAY 2011)
 글쓴이 : 관리자

On Feb, 2011, Pastor Choong-Hwan Baek of Gwangju was intrigued by a column in a local paper, Christianity Times. The column was written by a classmate a while back. The columnist’s name was Pastor So-Ja Park. About 30 years ago while attending seminary, Pastor Park was only into the Bible and studying. Pastor Baek was so glad to see his friend’s name on the local paper that he called the publisher to get his number, resulting in the two meeting up for the first time in 30 years. After a long chat about the good ol’ days, Pastor Baek asked, “Pastor Park, since our school days, you have read numerous books and studied the Bible, aren’t there any books you can recommend?”

This past Saturday, April 30, we met with Pastor So-Ja Park (head pastor of Sae Dol Dam Church in Gwangju, former vice-moderator of the Woori General Assembly of the Presbyterian Churches of Korea, current professor of General Assembly Theological Seminary). The True Peace interview was made possible because of the question Pastor Baek asked above.

“We have not met in 30 years, so I barely remembered Pastor Baek’s face, but Pastor Baek had vivid memories of me. After a long talk, he asked me to recommend a book to read. So I told him to read the History of Redemption series, which I was deeply immersed in, gave him a detailed explanation about the books. He just sat there and listened to me speak for a while. Then, he said that not only had he finished reading the redemptive series, but that he was even attending the “Disciples’ College” led by Rev. John Lee, head pastor of Green Pastures Church in Gwangju, to study the books more deeply. Both of us were surprised.”

From that point forward, Pastor So-Ja Park, has been to the Disciples’ College at Green Pastures Church in Gwangju with Pastor Baek on Saturdays to learn about the redemptive series. In addition to the two pastors, there are about another ten pastors attending the school regularly. This interview took place after the Disciples’ College on Saturday evening.

Q. You must have loved the Bible so much that even after 30 years, your classmates still vividly recall the lasting impression you made on them, isn’t that so?
A. Well, I do actually. I read the Bible for 5-6 hours a day, so that I have literally read it from cover to cover at least 100 times. Now, I read the Bible by themes; it does not depend on the sequence, but on what I study (i.e., if it’s Daniel, then I read Daniel, etc.). But these days, I spend most of my time reading the redemptive series authored by Reverend Abraham Park.

Q. How did you come to know about the History of Redemption series?
A. I saw an article saying the redemptive series came out on the Pyungkang homepage. Because Pastor Abraham Park is such a famous person, I took a special interest in the Word that he preaches a while back. I could say I read most of the sermons on the website. The website informed me of the publication of the Genesis Genealogies, so I told my son to buy that book right away, and… from the moment I opened the book and read the preface and reviews, I was deeply moved and stayed awake all night long to finish it. I felt I was enchanted by something and that it had absorbed me.

Q. Which parts were the most fascinating?
A. What I formerly assumed was ”Adam lived and died,”“Shem lived and died.” However, I could not contain the astonishment when I realized amazing facts through the genealogies. “Why weren’t the scriptures written prior to the Pentateuch?” This was my old question, and I came to the conclusion that those who lived in patriarchal ages would be living Bibles themselves. I knew that Adam lived for 930 years, so I thought, “Adam himself was a like a walking Bible.” But the fact that Adam lived with his 9th generation Lamech was absolutely beyond my expectation. As these facts unveiled, I was soaked up into the book like a child waiting for what comes next in the next episode of drama.

Q. I believe many were shocked by the revelation that the time of constructing Noah’s Ark was not 120 years.
A. Well, although I could not come to the calculation of 70-80 years, I still knew the duration was not 120 years as scholars had believed from my own reading of the Bible. And I was not aware of the importance of calculating the numbers in that. However, I came to realize that counting even one or two years has a significant meaning as I learned today at Disciples’ College. (Note: on that day, Pastor John Lee had a lecture on the starting year of Daniel’s seventy weeks based on Tishri and Nissan calculating method. The one year which had been a mystery was now resolved.) In a minute, a person could die or live. In that sense, everything could turn to devastation or revival in one year. I realized that today.

Q. What changes occurred after having reading the books?
A. I began to give the redemptive series out to pastors I know. For my students, I typed a whole book The Genesis Genealogies on my computer to use it for my lectures and sermons.

Q. Wow, that must have been a huge task.
A. Yes, it was. But it did not feel tough at all. The grace of God was so overwhelming that I did not realize that I had lost weight. I did nothing, but type and have meals in between for about 20 days. After seeing that I had lost 3-4 kg, I realized that it was a tough job.

Q. Have you read Books 2, 3, 4, and 5?
A. As soon as I heard that the books were out, I purchased them on the Internet right away. I felt such strong emotions. My family consists of my wife, two daughters and one son. My son goes to a theological seminary and works as an evangelist. I called my family up and told them, “Each one of you should possess your own copies of the redemptive series.” One of my colleagues was highly critical of Pastor Abraham Park, so I recommended the books to him. After reading the books and realizing how great the content was, he said “Thank you so
much” to me!

Q. Some say that the redemptive series is too difficult to understand.
A. I am one of those people who believe that the Bible can be understood only by the grace of God. The Bible is difficult to read. The same applies to the redemptive series: it is written very simply, but it is still hard to read. So, I tell people that “this book is the second Bible.”

Q. What do you mean by that?
A. I mean that it is valuable. It deserves the name “the second Bible.” This is a must-read.

Q. That means it is something more than just a “good book.”
A. I feel that this book is not written based on human understanding. How many bright people have existed on earth? This feat could have been undertaken if it were possible for a human to do. However, it did not come from human understanding, but from the work of the Holy Spirit. It was not made by man. I sometimes wonder if now is the time when out of the ten virgins, the five prudent ones who have prepared the oil for their lamps are being called.

Q. Have you ever met the author, Rev. Abraham Park?
A. No.

Q. What is your assessment of the author?
A. After Apostle Paul, I think that he might be the next extraordinary figure. Though there are numerous great theologians, this is just my take on it. Up to now, there has been no one whom I really wanted to respect. However, I would like to say I greatly respect Rev. Abraham Park; he is a great man.

Q. There must be people who ask, “How great could the book be that he assesses the author in such a manner?”
A. I cannot pick every single example to support it, but look at the genealogies. Have there only been one or two smart people who have read the genealogies of the Bible and studied it? However, the author has matched the genealogical figures one by one to come up with the correct calculation. This is where we can gauge the differences. This is impossible unless he can pierce through the Bible. Putting the whole content of the Bible in one’s head and understanding it cannot be done by man. If man could do it, then someone would have already done it a long time ago. I think when the time is right, God will make clear what He has done through prophets’ words. I sometimes think this Word will be accomplished through Pastor Park. I see it as the message that God wants us, the chosen people, to be awakened and see the time in which we are living. So, I pray that God may complete His work through Rev. Abraham Park whatever the circumstances may be, and that He may watch over Pastor Park’s health.

Q. How are you so sure about this even though you have not met the author?
A. Meeting someone face-to-face does not mean that you know that person. Even though you and I are facing each other now, I can get to “know” you by talking. By listening to him/her, sharing thoughts, or reading his/her book, we can get to know someone. I have been reading and listening to the Word of Pyungkang Cheil Church. I may know this Word even better than the congregation of Pyungkang does. I am sure that this Word is the Word of all Words.

Q. What is your view on the Church of Korea today?
A. I do not expect the Church of Korea to change easily. It is we are living in such times. The world is becoming even darker. Darkness and tribulations on churches are showing God’s chosen people the signs of the end times.

Q. What has to be done for Christians?
A. Churches that have life are going to delve into the Word more deeply, and churches that are secular and worldly are going to be more secular. Now is the time for Korean churches to become one, centering on the Rev. Abraham Park’s redemptive series. There is no other Word powerful enough to bind the churches together not just in Korea, but in the world

Pastor So-Ja Park’s face looked mild and his attitude looked calm. But his speech was so candid. Like any of Namdo people (from the southern Korean provinces), he used to be so passionate about “So-ri” (a collective name of various Korean folk songs) that he bought all LPs up. After he came to believe in God, however, he found God’s Word as the only true So-ri. I was curious about the kind of life that he’s lived throughout his ministry.

Q. How old are you?
A. I was born in 1952. I just turned to 60 years old.

Q. When did you start your ministry?
A. It has been 27 years. I was just a businessman 30 years ago. Back then, my 10-month-old son was, all of a sudden, on the verge of death due to a stroke. Running around five hospitals to cure his disease, I made a promise to God in my prayer: “God, if only you save my son’s life, I will be your servant and make my son your servant as well.” God heard that prayer. Thanks to that prayer, my son was back to life without even an injection. Then, I forgot my prayer. I had doubts about God’s presence. One day, I hit a person while driving and I was imprisoned. Thinking back on my old days, the prayer I promised to God popped up in my mind. During the imprisonment of 2 months and 27 days, I was determined to meet God in person. Finally, the day came and I was freed. I went to church that had daily services. I spent most of time in church that week and struggled to meet God. Until the Friday dawn service, there was nothing. I felt empty and all my struggling seemed to be in vain. However, continuing to pray alone on Friday morning, I clearly heard God’s voice that said “Hey! You son of a gun!” from that moment, God started showing me my life of faith in a panoramic view starting with my small joke to a pastor asking him to out for beer. Unable to contain my tears, I bitterly wept for a while. I did not know that that much water was able to come out of our bodies. My pants were wet with my tears. Starting from 4 a.m., my prayer went on until 11 a.m. Wrapping up my prayer, I realized that the pastor and his wife were waiting for me to lock the door. Afterward, without taking the car that I took to church, I walked home and everyone I met seemed so beautiful! I wanted to hug everyone I passed because they all seemed beautiful to me. However, since I could not hug everyone, in my heart, I just shouted “Believe in Jesus! Believe in Jesus!” until I got home. After getting home, I opened the Bible with a strong determination to memorize it. I started to read from Matthew chapter 1, but there were so many names…so-and-so is the father of so-and-so…I asked my pastor about this. His answer was “Deacon Park, knowing too much hampers your faith.” Thus, I stopped reading the Bible and began cleaning the sanctuary. I cleaned the approximately 662 square-metered sanctuary day and night. The cleaning was done around 11 p.m. Also, I started to teach the church students, and that job required me to read the Bible again. Some deacons saw me working hard for the church, so they collected money to support my attending a theological seminary. Thanks to God’s grace, I started a small church in 1985.

Q. Your name is unique.
A. My father named me.

Q. Was he a Christian?
A. No, So (小) means small, little and Ja (者) means “man.” It seems as though my dad wanted me to live like a humble, lowly person. This name makes me famous wherever I go.

Q. Is there anything you would like to say to the Pyungkang congregation?
A. I am sure that the Pyungkang congregation has the utmost blessings. I said it to Pastor John Lee. I envy him for he works with a head pastor like Pastor Abraham Park.

Q. Why do you think that they have the utmost blessings?
A. Pyungkang believers dwell in the eternal Word. To meet this kind of spiritual leader is given by heaven. The blessing of the seventh day is the blessing of the Sabbath. That blessing cannot be given by earth. That blessing was not allowed to everyone. I feel really jealous of them.

Q. What kind of church is Pyungkang Cheil Church?
A. In this age, it is a church deserving of envy. There is much to envy.

We had supper with Pastor So-Ja Park, John Lee, and some church members after the interview. During supper, a testimony from Pastor John Lee moved me very much. Pastor Lee who talked and Pastor Park who listened are in harmony like old close friends. The two of them have met only for 3-4 times. I left Gwangju on that rainy, late night. Since Gwangju means “Sunny town,” I became subtly inspired. If Pyeong Yang is “Jerusalem of the East,” then Gwangju would be called “South Korea’s Jerusalem.” In the early days of Christianity in Korea, missionaries sailed to the West Sea of Korean Peninsula and first planted the seed of gospel in Gwangju. As statistics show, Christians have densely populated Gwangju. There were two words I really want to put in this article, but for some reason, I could not. If you are curious, you are welcome to ask me about it in person.

Interviewer/reporter: Jun-Seok Ho
Photographer: Jung-Man Lee Recording: Wan-Hyung Park (Gwangju
Green Pastures Church)

PROCLAIM 2017: A Global Conference for Preachers o…

All Reforms are Only through the Word of God

Special Feature: 500th Anniversary of the Protesta…

Absolute Thanksgiving with an Empty Heart

Special Feature: 500th Anniversary of the Protesta…

With Strength in the Work of the Lord

The Impossible Dream Comes True : All Nations Come…

2017 SUMMER CONFERENCE : Yeoju is the “source of…

“Fed Full By the Holy Spirit” : The First 2017…

Re:2017 NY Conference The Youths’ 4 Day Journey …

Beware and Be on Your Guard Against Every Form of …

“I shall be the woman of Sychar for the One Ston…